This summer was hectic. My cousin Lany got
married this summer. She is a pinterest-aholic. She decided that she wanted 30
cakes (one for each table at the reception as the center piece). She asked me
to help make them. In my family that translates to someone will bake them and I
will decorate them. (I have gotten pretty good at it!) In order to understand
why everyone in my family asks me to decorate and make them cakes, you need to
know it’s because when my mom was younger she used to do it for everyone and I inherited
the know-how, so now everyone in my extended family asks me. However, having to
make 30 cakes in a week is no small task so my family helped me. My grandma, my
mom, and two of my aunts baked the cakes the day before I decorated them. So the
Thursday before Lany’s wedding we all got together at my house and filled and
decorated 32 cakes (my grandma made extra just in case). At this point in the
wedding chaos my grandma was driving my Aunt Tracy (mother of the bride) crazy,
because she just showed up at her house everyday to “help.” No one asked her,
she just showed up. So, it was Thursday about 24 hours before the wedding and
my entire family shows up at my house. It was 3 of my aunts, my sister (from
out of town), my mom, my grandma, my great aunt, my second cousin, my twin
cousins, Lany, Lany’s maid of honor and me. Needless to say, my house was
packed! After about an hour we got a system going, my great aunt and second
cousin mixed up the frosting, my Aunts leveled the cake layers, my grandma and
mom stacked and filled, I decorated, and my other aunt put the cakes in the
boxes. This system worked really well, we had all of the cakes done in about 4
hours.
The next morning we reconvened and delivered the
cakes to the reception hall. Have you ever driven a car with 30 cakes in the
back that had to be perfect when you got to where you were going? Let me tell
you, it is difficult and nerve racking. After a slow and steady drive to the
reception hall we all met up again and carried in the cakes. Now my grandma
announced that she was going to hold the door open for everyone as they carried
in the cakes. I thought this part was going to be boring and tedious but it was
actually entertaining. It was entertaining because it was suggested that we
take one at a time to keep the cakes from sliding in their boxes; however, my
youngest aunt felt that doing it that way would take too long, so she took two
at a time. Needless to say when she carried them she leaned the boxes together
and they made a v-shape. Grandma was not happy with her. Then when she was
taking in the last two cakes she lost her grip on them and they fell to the
ground. The box exploded and there was frosting everywhere, and grandma lost it. It was a good thing she
made to extra cakes because my Aunt had just ruined 2 whole cakes! It was a
mess to clean up and my grandma started yelling. This was the only time in my
entire life I have heard my grandma yell, she was angry. Her face turned such a
deep red it was almost purple she yelled, “Brook, I told you to take one at a
time! Why are you being so stubborn today did you leave your brain at home?”
Then the hardest part… was taking the cakes
out of the boxes placing them perfectly in the center of the round tables and
not denting the frosting with your fingers or the side of the box. Finally,
after all of the hectic was done the reception area was set up beautifully. Most
importantly Lany and Mason got married and got their happily ever after. In conclusion,
the whole stressful situation was worth it and an experience I will never
forget.
I enjoyed the story and liked how it was centralized around one summer event. While your family sounds entertaining, it could've been interesting to know more about each of the women that you mentioned. I felt that you were listing a lot of what happened instead of going in depth. It would be neat to see how you would've formed the story with more time to complete each character's background. Besides some minor grammar mistakes, there were no major issues with this draft. I found your voice in this writing entertaining, and I think the humor in this story is what drives it.
ReplyDeleteOverall this was an entertaining story to read as I enjoyed hearing about the chaos! I could picture all of this happening as I was reading it. For grammar, it was pretty good overall. As a paper, it could have had a little bit more ethos. Maybe discuss how tiring the cake-baking was! Try to include some ethos for the wedding in general. Weddings can be pretty emotional. Also, how could you elaborate how hard the drive was with the 30 cakes in the back? I feel like emphasizing the drama with this part could be pretty easy to write about and fun at the same time. Possibly this and emphasize your grandmother's tension when the cakes were dropped. Overall, I liked reading this. People like hearing personal experiences and I thought you picked a very good one. Congratulations on your cousin Lany's wedding by the way in general.
ReplyDelete